International Students from African region are with this notice called to apply for the 2021 In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme for Africans solely funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). Interested candidates who intend to pursue studies as an in-country/in-region student in another Sub-Saharan Africa region (West and Central Africa or Southern African region) are advised to apply for programme.
The intent of the programme is to foster strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. Hence, the scholarship aid is granted for development-related postgraduate studies for scholars who plan to pursue a career in teaching and / or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Scholarship Host(s): DAAD
Scholarship to be taken at: African Students
Scholarship level: Postgraduate
Scholarship Slots: Unlimited
Subject Eligibility: All subject areas relating to development.
Country/Candidate Eligibility: Sub-Saharan Africans (see eligibility criteria below)
Application Deadline: Varies
Scholarship Value and Benefits
Generally, scholarship beneficiaries will get;
- Monthly allowance
- Study and research allowance
- Printing allowance
- Tuition fees
Only applicable for In-Region scholarship holders:
- Travel allowance
- Health insurance
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- have attained a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme, or
- have a Master’s degree if pursuing a doctoral programme who want to pursue Master’s or PhD courses in their home country (so called In-Country scholarships) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region scholarships).
- Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
The application procedure follows a two-step process:
- First, applicants submit their scholarship application to the host institution.
- After a pre-selection has been conducted, shortlisted applicants will be asked to submit their application again via the DAAD portal for the final selection.
- Please note that the application procedure may differ between the regions and host institutions.
- The specific application instructions regarding each host institution are listed in the respective calls for applications (see full information at the official website, link provided below).
Duration of funding
A course programme is sponsored for duration of a course – generally, up to two years for Masters and up to three years for the PhD degree programmes.
Candidates interested in applying for the DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme 2021,are advised to visit the official scholarship application page through the link provided below. In the list all the list of degree programmes funded are provided within this scholarship programme in the regions West and Central Africa, Eastern Africa and Southern Africa, including the links to the respective calls for applications.